Catholic Charities Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston is seeking a Controller.
Reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), the Controller will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. As the number-two executive to the CFO, the Controller will be involved in supporting presentations to the board finance and audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team.
The Controller will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $45+ million and supervise a team of 10 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and support of grants administration. The Controller will ensure that Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits. The Controller will work closely with program leaders and their staffs, not only to educate them regarding finance and accounting procedures but also to explore how the finance function can support program operations.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented, have strong communication and organizational skills.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity including relevant Single Audit activity.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Catholic Charities’ financial status.
- Assist Catholic Charities’ leadership in the annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and compare to actual results with a view to identify, explain, and correct variances as appropriate.
- Support the CFO in engaging the board’s audit and finance committees around issues and trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
- Ensure programs receive timely and accurately monthly financial reports with supported analysis.
- Complete grant funding reports and compile information for financial monitoring visits from funders.
- Develop and engage a diverse team of accountants and clerks to cultivate continual quality improvement and upward career growth.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required. Master’s Degree in Accounting preferred.
- CPA or CPA candidate
MINIMUM SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Catholic Charities’ mission; a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will own, in partnership with the CFO, the responsibility for finance.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with computerized general ledger systems, spreadsheet design, database management and reporting.
- Three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in non-profit environment including preparation of financial statements and general ledger maintenance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fund and government contract accounting experience is desirable.
- Ability to research OMB Uniform Guidance, understand, and apply complex federal, state, local, and other laws, regulations and guidelines to various accounting, payroll, and grant related functions and procedures.
- Two (2) to three (3) years’ supervisory experience.
- Two (2) to three (3) years’ experience processing payroll in compliance with the DOL and Wage and Hour Laws.
- Detailed-oriented and proven results in accuracy.
- Utilize sound judgment and decision making skills, solve problems quickly and effectively, meet multiple deadlines and to work effectively under pressure in a high-paced, dynamic environment.
- Advanced Excel Skills (Pivot Tables, V-Lookups etc.).