Title: Director of Advancement
Position Summary: The Director of Advancement cultivates a spirit of philanthropy within and outside of the IWA community and develops, directs and implements a comprehensive advancement strategic plan which includes annual fund, major gifts, raffle, donor recruitment and cultivation, events including gala and planned giving. This person serves as the team leader for the advancement staff: Communications/Marketing Director, Annual Fund & Alumnae Relations Coordinator, Database Coordinator, and Special Events & Parent Volunteer Coordinator. He or she is also is responsible for implementation of the advancement portion of the Academy’s Strategic Plan.
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, with evening and weekend work as needed.
Mission and Values
- Models the mission, values and spirituality of the Academy and the Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament
- Serves as a positive representative of IWA within the broader community
- Participates fully in the life and activities of the IWA community
- Serves all IWA families with compassion and respect
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully meet the monetary goals of the advancement department.
- Identify and personally cultivate and solicit a minimum of 20 new donor/alumnae prospects per year.
- Develop written plan for managing IWA alumnae philanthropic giving.
- Work with staff member to implement a successful Annual Fund Program
- Monitor scholarship and memorial gift opportunities.
- Oversee appropriate systems for managing effective gift processing and donor stewardship functions, including donor database, website, social networking venues, alumnae outreach, etc.
- Oversee the management of the database of donor history, gift accounting, record keeping, and pledge reminders.
- Oversee the quality of all messaging for donor acknowledgements.
- Secure gala underwriting.
- Oversee management of special events such as gala and other advancement events.
- Foster volunteer leadership; recruit and train volunteers.
- Provide grant writing and necessary follow up.
- Each year try to increase the number of foundations giving to IWA.
- Develop and maintain positive communication with foundations.
- Serve as an articulate, passionate, and visible spokesperson for Incarnate Word Academy.
- Oversee marketing efforts.
- Prepare fundraising information to be included in the annual report portion of magazine.
- Recruit, develop, and retain relationships of influence for Incarnate Word Academy’s advancement efforts.
- Educate board members to serve as advocates for advancement efforts.
- Network with counterparts in the Catholic School system and in other fundraising and business communities.
- Serve as collaborative team leader and manage advancement staff.
- Conduct regular advancement team meetings.
- Approve long-and short-term planning and goals for each team member.
- Meet regularly with individual staff members to review goals and strategies.
- Conduct annual written advancement staff evaluations.
- Plan for future departmental needs.
- Develop Advancement annual budget.
- Produce accurate weekly reports on Annual Fund results and Gala progress.
- Prepare the agenda for the Advancement Committee of the Board of Advisors.
- Develop good working relationships with members of the Board of Advisors
- Attend all Board of Advisors meetings and serve as staff backup for Advancement Committee chair reporting
- Cultivate working relationships with board members
Successful Background and Educational Requirements:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience: At least, 5 years of proven track record of fundraising success in advancement – CFRE preferred
- Preferable—Familiarity with the Catholic Community
- Ability to balance multiple priorities
- Working knowledge of best practices in trends in advancement and fundraising tools
Skills include: Team leadership and supervisory skills; excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills; Microsoft Office; workable knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or lateral fundraising software.
Competitive salary and benefits.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume with a cover letter to email@example.com
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by individuals in this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, or qualifications required of individuals in this job classification. All job classifications may have other duties assigned on an as-needed basis. Management, at the appropriate level, retains the right to assign and change the duties of any position at any time.