The St. John Paul II Life Center is a one of a kind non-profit pregnancy resource center located in the heart of Austin. For over eight years, the center has been supporting families make life affirming choices while offering OB/GYN medical services through its partner Vitae Clinic. We have an opportunity for an experienced fundraising professional to join our growing operation. If you are inspired to save lives and make a difference in our community, please read on…
Position Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Responsible for developing St. John Paul II’s (JP II) fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building a strong development team for the non-profit organization. Collaborate with other organizations and groups within the community to build key external alliances. This position will manage individual and corporate donations as well as plan additional donation campaigns. Identify funding sources such as grants, in-kind donations, charitable events, and marketing opportunities.
Leadership & Culture:
- Maintain a courteous, helpful and professional attitude on the job, and a willingness to be responsive to colleagues, members, donors, Board, and leadership volunteers.
- Ensure that program activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned in a positive manner.
- Commitment to JP II Life Center’s mission.
- Plan the delivery of activities in accordance with the mission and goals of JP II Life Center.
- Develop new initiatives and fund-raising proposals to support and ensure the strategic direction of the organization and the continuous delivery of services.
- Oversee JP II’s annual fundraising campaigns in accordance with JP II’s mission and goals.
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the program.
- Develop a program evaluation process to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas needing improvement.
- Meet or surpass targeted fundraising goals as determined by the Board of Directors and CEO.
- Identify prospective individual and corporate donors and develop strategies to cultivate current and new relationships.
- Maintain ongoing communications with private and corporate donors.
- Ensure timely and accurate reports to JP II’s CEO and Board.
- Collaborate with staff on the management and planning of fundraising events and donor receptions.
- Develop print marketing related to fundraising in collaboration with JP II’s advertising agency.
- Keep abreast of fundraising industry trends, through publications and events to ensure JP II is using best practices and ethical approaches to fund-raising.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all organization procedures, results, and all donor, member, and volunteer related information.
- Assist in brainstorming and creating new methods to raise funds for our organization.
- Use technology and social media, wherever possible, to improve fundraising activities.
- Create marketing materials, such as flyers and brochures, to be used for the promotion of events and other fundraising campaigns.
- Analyze the success of events and fund-raising activities for effectiveness and to identify areas where money can be saved.
- Maintain complete and orderly records of donors and manage regular donor communications.
- Build upon existing donor relationships and form new donor relationships on a regular basis.
- Ensure that the programs operate within the approved budget.
- Fluent in English, and possibly Spanish.
- Ability to lead and work in a fast-paced, result-driven, faith-based environment.
- Problem solving skills – Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; Work well in group problem solving situations; Use reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Teamwork – Contribute to building a positive team spirit.
- Able to treat clients, volunteers and other employees with respect.
WORKING CONDITIONS: (physical effort, environment, hazards)
- Occasionally required to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to work in a setting away from the JP II office and travel to meet with current and prospective donors.
- May be required to sit and work more than 3-4 hours per day at computer screen.
- Office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, with 1 hour for lunch.
- May periodically be required to work additional hours to support fundraising activities.
- Computer: Proficient in software, to include but not limited to, Donor Management Software, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Bachelor Degree in Communication, Business Administration or Public Relations Required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ work in a non-profit organization with an emphasis on fundraising, planning, and marketing.
- Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to Chief Executive Officer.
- Exemplary communication abilities and outgoing personality.
- Must be aligned with the mission of St. John Paul II Life Center. (see website at www.jpiilifecenter.org)
- Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
To apply for consideration, please forward your electronic resume to: St. John Paul II Life Center, care of: Mark Fair, CEO, firstname.lastname@example.org. The St. John Paul II Life Center is located in the Jefferson Building at 1600 West 38th Street, Suite 110, Austin, TX 78731