Uplift’s mission is to create and sustain public schools of excellence that empower students to reach their highest potential in college and the global marketplace and that inspire in students a life-long love of learning, achievement, and service in order to positively change their world.
Uplift is seeking a strategic and focused Finance Professional to join our growing organization.
The Director of Finance will report to the Senior Director of Finance and provide strong and effective leadership, direction, and professional expertise in budget planning, execution and management. This position coordinates and leads all financial planning and analysis activities and supports capital markets financing transactions. The Director will guide the Financial Services team in aligning policies, practices, procedures and systems to the company’s strategic business objectives, and will ensure the delivery of proactive customer service, process improvement, and business focused advice and services. This leader is also responsible for contributing to Uplift’s culture which balances sense of team/community and high expectations, acts with extreme attention to detail, high sense of urgency and solid judgement in providing analytical business support to our rapidly expanding organization.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
o Serves as valued thought partner to the CFO and Senior Director of Finance on financial and/or strategic issues by providing relevant financial analysis and recommendations
o Leads a high functioning team with a culture of high expectations and serviceoriented mindset
o Plans, organizes, and leads all activities related to annual budget planning, execution and management. Responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of day to day activities while focusing on continuous improvement and engaging with key stakeholders to create new processes and improve current processes
o Advocates for team members, providing them the development, coaching and support they need to be successful in their work
o Acts as a trusted advisor, partner and sounding board to Uplift leaders across the network Financial Planning & Management
o Leads the annual budgeting process with all relevant stakeholders
– Creates and implements tools and templates to facilitate strong budget planning
– Serves as a valued thought partner to budget owners on operational and strategic issues
– Oversees monthly reporting and support to all budget owners
o Manages the process for budget management throughout the fiscal year
– Creates and maintains a system of effective training and support for budget owners
– Develops and manages systems for monitoring budgeted v. actual expenditures
– Manages revenue, expense, and cash flow modeling and forecasting
o Prepares financial reports and manages ad-hoc analysis for internal and external stakeholders
o Collaborates with the Enrollment & Admissions Team to plan and implement enrollment worksheets and strategies to ensure 100% average enrollment
Fiscal Compliance & Monitoring
o Works closely with the Director of Restricted Programs and program leaders to:
– Develop, monitor and manage implementation and compliance of grant budgets
– Create and provide training to relevant stakeholders to ensure compliance
o Monitors and evaluates current fiscal procedures, process and guidelines and makes recommendations for improvement
o Manages data analysis and reporting for the Financial Services Team
o Ensures Uplift’s financial system is setup in a way that will provide the necessary levels of analysis for effective reporting
o Incorporates vision for program evaluation in annual budgeting process
o Manages the creation and collection of relevant analysis to support capital markets financing transactions
This position will supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned direct reports, currently 3 direct reports and a total of 3 employees.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
– Expertise in financial functions required, including: Reporting; Budgeting; Financial Modeling; Business Planning
– Nonprofit or public sector experience preferred
– 5+ years of professional experience with experience overseeing financial systems and staff
– Strong financial management skills and business acumen; demonstrated ability in financial analysis and financial modeling
– Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service; goal driven, accountable, and reliable; strong attention to detail and follow through
– Proven ability to plan, build and execute at the same time in a fast-paced environment
– Highly flexible with the versatility to shift between strategic and tactical responsibilities
– Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to explain technical financial information clearly and concisely to non-finance professionals Advanced proficiency in MS Excel and financial information systems
– Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s in business, finance, accounting or public administration and/or CPA preferred
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from Uplift Education stakeholders. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be competent using basic office equipment, as well as in Microsoft Office applications (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel) with the ability to learn and use computer software as necessary.
SAFETY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Every Uplift employee has an obligation to know our safety rules and procedures; to teach what they know to others; to recognize unsafe actions and situations; to warn others of unsafe situations; to react to emergency situations and to report hazardous or unsafe practices to those in a position to correct them.
PHYSICAL / MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit and use the wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Work at a desk and computer screen for extended periods of time.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level is moderate and may have frequent interruptions. There may be activity from other employees and students of a distracting nature.
Satisfactory criminal records check, pre-hire and annually thereafter, if applicable. Must be eligible to work in the United States and provide work authorization.