Position Title: Director of Philanthropy Reports To: President Description: Full Time Director of Philanthropy
Description: The St. John Paul II Foundation is a national Catholic apostolate proclaiming the Good News about life and family through education and formation. The Director of Philanthropy is responsible for development and fundraising efforts for the St. John Paul II Foundation with particular focus on the Foundation’s giving societies and major gift campaigns. The Director reports to the President and will work together with the President and other development department staff, with latitude granted for independent judgment and initiative.
Foundation’s Philosophy of Philanthropy: We believe that prospective and current donors are persons who deserve to be treated as persons. We emphasize the importance of cultivation, an apostolate of friendship, and “becoming an expert in the humanity” of the donor. Donors and prospective donors deserve to encounter a development director committed to extending the right invitation at the right time to the right donor. Cultivation and extending invitations to prospective donors requires boldness, patience, and persistence. It is essential that development activities encourage, rather than discourage, care for the soul, growth in faith, and deepening of family and professional life of the donor.
- Communicate with, meet with, and invite financial support from individuals, foundations and corporations
- Secure new members for the Foundation’s “Founders’ Circle” major gift community of support
- Collaboratively secure the Foundation’s “Legacy Circle” community of support
- Create and execute a strategy for a large sustained base of annual individual donors outside of Houston
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors in Houston and in cities where Foundation works outside of Houston
- Research, draft and submit applications for grant funding
- Maintain a work schedule that maximizes availability to prospective donors, donors, and Foundation staff
- Collaboratively oversee Foundation donor database
- Use effective and appropriate supervision and management skills to maximize employee and volunteer morale and effectiveness
- Participate in staff meetings and other projects connected with the Foundation and perform other duties as assigned by the President
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of fundraising and development strategies
- Ability to develop and maintain donor relationships
- Skills in fundraising, development, sales, and marketing
- Ability to work effectively with others including staff, volunteers, and partners
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to organize, prioritize and utilize effective time management techniques
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Ability to manage several high-level projects simultaneously and with great attention to detail.
- Ability to follow instructions furnished in verbal or written format
Bachelor degree from an accredited university. Experience with fundraising, running annual fund drives, or major gift and capital campaigns. Alternatively, transferable experience and skills in business development, sales, or financial advising. Passion for the mission and ability to communicate that mission to prospective donors. Ability to secure grant support from Foundations and coordinating volunteers. Excellent skills in communication through the written and spoken word. High level of professionalism in working with Catholic Church officials, staff, and benefactors a must.
This position is located in the Greater Houston area. Some travel will be required. The ideal candidate will be in the area or willing to relocate. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Applicants are requested to submit a letter of interest and resume to amy(at)forlifeandfamily.org. Only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.