Editor & General Manager, Catholic Voice
January 1, 2018
Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
HOURS PER WEEK:
APPLY ONLINE AT: www.archomaha.org/careers
Designs pages and produces advertisements for the archdiocese’s Catholic Voice newspaper, La Voz Católica Spanish-language newspaper, newspaper website (Catholic Voice Online), Catholic Directory, and other printed materials.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produces newspaper pages using submitted content. Lays out pages, places ads, prepares photos, makes indicated corrections, gains page approvals, and transfers completed files to printer.
- Creates, corrects and resizes advertisements for publication. Provides proofs for all ads.
- Works with advertising and editorial staff in planning and monitoring the workflow of each production cycle to meet deadlines.
- Creates and modifies designs for inserts, house ads and other promotional pieces. Designs and maintains the media kit.
- Streamlines production tasks to ensure maximum efficiency. Develops and maintains libraries of glyphs, GREP styles, character and paragraph styles, and other graphical elements for expedient use.
- Under the direction of the editorial staff, selects photos and news stories for publication, including religious content.
- Works to ensure the Catholicity of newspaper and web publications. Brings problematic content to the attention of editorial staff.
- Attends editorial planning meetings. Provides input and support regarding the development of news stories and feature articles.
- Prepares and posts print edition materials to the website. Under the direction of the editorial staff, develops content for the newspaper’s social media pages (Facebook and Twitter).
- Serves as the primary resource to staff and clients on the technical quality of production materials, especially electronic photos and PDFs.
- Maintains the Catholic Voice’s production style guide. Advises editorial staff on production guidelines to maximize readability while still affording flexibility in design.
- Takes photographs and writes captions for news stories, as time permits.
- As time permits, assists other departments in the Curia with developing promotional materials; serves as a resource on graphic software programs and techniques.
- Takes advantage of online resources and monitors trends in newspaper design. Offers suggestions and develops proposals to improve visual presentation of all printed materials.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the mission, teachings, and practices of the Catholic Church. Understanding of the pastoral priorities of the Archdiocese of Omaha.
- Knowledge of principles, techniques, and tools of graphic design and computer art. Demonstrated interest and aptitude for furthering the mission of the Catholic Church though excellence in visual communications.
- Facility for creating and developing engaging promotional messages and page designs using visual communication techniques. Ability and desire to realize one’s own creative ideas as well as those of other staff members.
- Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat Professional. Experience with Adobe Bridge and Illustrator also beneficial.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as the Windows operating system running on networked PCs. Ability to quickly learn and use new software related to job duties.
- Basic understanding of web design principles and techniques. Familiarity with HTML and web-based content management systems is preferred.
- Ability to operate still camera equipment. Basic understanding of fundamental concepts in photography, including composition, lighting, and exposure.
- Strong organizational and communication skills. Aptitude for working well as a member of a team as well as independently with minimal supervision to achieve job goals.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks in quick succession, prioritizing effectively and maintaining high standards.
- Commitment to continuing education to increase knowledge of the Catholic Church as well as graphic design principles and techniques.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Associate’s Degree in graphic design or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of three years of graphic design experience producing print publications. Newspaper experience preferred.
- Active, practicing Catholic in full communion with the Roman Catholic Church preferred.
Important Information to Include with your Application:
- To Apply for this position, please include a Cover Letter and Resume when completing the Archdiocese’ online application.
- Candidates will be required to show examples of their work. If available, a link to an online portfolio will be ideal.
- The position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been hired.
APPLY ONLINE AT: WWW.ARCHOMAHA.ORG/CAREERS