Head of Communications
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
Mary’s Meals is a nonprofit organization, formerly known as Scottish International Relief (SIR), whose mission is to enable people to offer their money, goods, skills, time, or prayer, in order to provide the most effective help to those suffering the effects of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest communities. Founded in 2002, Mary’s Meals began as a grassroots operation reaching 200 children in Malawi, and has since grown into a worldwide movement, providing free school meals in hundreds of schools and feeding more than one million children daily. Mary’s Meals has registered affiliate organizations in 13 countries, including Mary’s Meals USA which raises donations and awareness of Mary’s Meals work.
Mary’s Meals is a simple idea that works – by providing a daily meal in a place of education, chronically poor children are attracted to the classroom where they can gain a basic education that provides an escape route from poverty. Another core tenant of Mary’s Meals is empowering and engaging communities to own and run their own school feeding programs. In Malawi alone, Mary’s Meals has over 80,000 community volunteers preparing and delivering meals to children.
Mary’s Meals envisions a world in which every child receives one daily meal in their place of education and all those who have more than they need, share with those who lack even the most basic things.
For more information, please visit Mary’s Meals website: https://www.marysmealsusa.org/
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Head of Communications will be responsible for leading Mary’s Meals USA (MMUSA)’s communications strategy in order to raise awareness of Mary’s Meals, inform and inspire all involved and uphold MMUSA’s values and distinctive tone of voice. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Head of Communications will serve as a senior leader in the organization and help design and lead the expansion of Mary’s Meals visibility through creative communications and marketing strategies. This is an ideal opportunity for a proven communications professional who is passionate about applying his/her talents towards the strategic goal of feeding two million children by 2020.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement a cohesive and holistic communications strategy for MMUSA; including but not limited to: digital, content & storytelling, PR/Branding, media relations, and internal communications
- Serve as a strategic member of the senior leadership team; advising others on communications-related matters in order to achieve broader organizational goals and priorities
- Actively seek out new and innovative communications strategies to ensure MMUSA is maximizing their potential to reach new audiences
- Develop and monitor monthly communications data/metrics; report progress and adjust course as needed in response to trends/insights and new opportunities/challenges
Brand and Awareness Building
- Lead all PR and media relations efforts for MMUSA; raising brand awareness of Mary’s Meals in the US through strategic and relevant media coverage
- Serve as key external spokesperson for MMUSA; establishing a clear and consistent brand rooted in Mary’s Meals‘ distinct message, voice, and values
- Partner with ED and Head of Fundraising to design and deliver campaigns aimed at raising awareness and growing funding/support for MMUSA
- Develop the communications materials needed to attract new supporters and maintain engagement with existing audiences
Project and Process Management
- Develop and implement communications-related systems in support of MMUSA’s strategic plan
- Maintain open lines of communication internally and with affiliates, particularly with the MMI Communications Director
- Strategically coordinate opportunities to engage MMUSA’s staff in public events, speaking engagements, etc.
- Develop and manage the annual budget for MMUSA marketing and communications work
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 5 years of experience leading a communications function
- Significant experience setting the vision and direction for a communications strategy
- Excellent understanding of the communications ‘toolbox’ including digital, content, brand, internal communications, PR and media relations
- A track record of cultivating effective relationships with press/media; existing media relationships is a plus
- Strong understanding of relationship marketing; evidence of influencing others through effective communications strategies and content
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; evidence of effectively assuming the “voice” of an organization and establishing consistent language and tone
- Experience developing and implementing effective communications-related processes and systems
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively across a wide array stakeholders (e.g., colleagues, partners, vendors, agencies etc.)
- A track record of leading successful projects and managing work to fruition through periods of growth and change
- Commitment to MMUSA’s vision and mission; desire to contribute to Mary’s Meals’ global impact
- Alignment with Mary’s Meals’ 7S competency model: Self, Service, Simplicity, Stewardship, Strategy, Strengthen, Success
Flexible Location; occasional travel to Mary’s Meals domestic offices
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Driven by the ambitious vision of feeding and educating all children around the globe and their deep commitment to service, Mary’s Meals seeks to ensure as much money as possible goes directly towards feeding children. For this reason, they have established compensation bands across their organization. The Director of Communications salary will be capped at approximately $85K.
QUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, PLEASE CONTACT:
Mary’s Meals is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.